An 86-year-old man has died after last month’s assault outside a downtown Vancouver Costco.
Sergeant Jason Robillard of the Vancouver Police Department says there is no risk to the public.
“The victim sustained a head injury during an altercation he had with a 57-year-old man just after 11 am on Expo Boulevard. The victim never recovered from his injuries. This is an isolated and tragic incident. There is no concern for public safety.”
.@VancouverPD Constable Jason Robillard provides media update after elderly #Vancouver man dies after Downtown Costco assault. No charges laid yet, investigation ongoing. @Roundhouse983 pic.twitter.com/79CeO6A3Og
— Taran Parmar (@Tarankparmar) January 12, 2018
Sergeant Robillard says the 57-year-old suspect has been identified but no criminal charges have been laid.
“Police are continuing with the investigation and a report to Crown Counsel will be submitted during the conclusion. Anyone who witnessed the assault and who has yet to come forward and speak to police is asked to call investigators.”
He adds the investigation is one of manslaughter and is ongoing. Police are not revealing how the injuries were caused, or what sparked the physical altercation in the first place.
Anyone who witnessed the altercation and has yet to speak to police is encouraged to do so. “We are making another plea for witnesses. It’s a pretty heavily populated and busy area for people to be at. If anyone has seen anything and haven’t come to the police, please call us. The more evidence we have, the better.”